Counting on Leap is a LeapPad game available in Leap 1 including the interactive book and cartridge. It is also available in the LeapPad Pro. It teaches math with numbers from 1 to 10, shapes, time, music, and colors, and tells the tale of Leap helping friends and delivering invitations to a music recital in a big hurry.
Mom has an important errand for Leap, to deliver invitations to a music recital. He was shocked by Tad, who was playing on a scooter, and had to put back the invitations in order 1 through 10.
He visits everyone in Alphaville: Della, who needed help planning her day, Tim, who is doing magic tricks, Casey, along with Lily, playing soccer, Dan, who was making cookies, and Parker, who had a bug collection.
After helping everyone, he almost forgot the job and had to plan a faster way to deliver the invitations.
As he did his job, the audience cheered as all of Leap's friends played the music successfully, which made the recital into one perfect day.
- Dad (a.k.a. Mr. Frog) (offscreen narrator)
- Mom (a.k.a. Mrs. Frog)
- Offscreen gentleman speaker (VA: Jim Marggraff)
Della goes swimming in the pool at the house, but needs to plan her list.
Time on the Clock
There are stars in colors on the cards. Tim is doing magic with cards in his cape.
Leap is seen watching Casey and Lily playing with 45 soccer balls.
Colors and Shapes
Dan is baking cookies with colored shapes on the cookie cutters. The sizes are big and small.
- yellow square
- green triangle
- blue circle
- red heart
- orange star
- pink rectangle
Sizes and Colors
Parker has a bug collection full of jars.
- large or big
- medium or middle
- small or little
Numbers With Words
- 1 one
- 2 two
- 3 three
- 4 four
- 5 five
- 6 six
- 7 seven
- 8 eight
- 9 nine
- 10 ten
Mrs. Frog and Tad conduct the music with their hands and Leap videotapes the music recital.
- Lily (flute [and the soloist in the recital])
- Parker (clarinet)
- Casey (trumpet)
- Tim (tuba)
- Della (xylophone)
- Dan (drum set)
A “Roller-Skating Leap” icon is at the bottom of the page to play a game.
- The book's title is a pun on the famous sentence "You're counting on me".
- The book's moral is “If you have an errand to do, do it well and never waste time”.
- When Leap says "Will you come with me?", this possibly states that he is breaking the fourth wall when he asks the player to join him in his adventure.
- This is the first time that Lily's favorite instrument is noted to be the flute.
- This is the only time Leap forgot about an errand.
- Tad plays the bongo drum and rides on a scooter.
- There are 45 soccer balls in total that Casey has (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 = 45).
- A backpack has ten invitations for the people in Alphaville/audience/crowd.
- Tad is seen without his baseball cap.
- There are hidden numbers in each scene.
- The one time that Leap forgets an errand is when the invitations fall out of Leap's backpack.
- The instruments the characters play in this book:
- Lily can play the flute.
- Parker can play the clarinet.
- Casey can play the trumpet.
- Tim can play the tuba.
- Della can play the xylophone (although the book miscolored it silver - as a vibraphone would look, as one of the 2 goofs).
- Dan can play the drums.
- The other instruments sound as they should be (e.g. The flute's sound corresponds to it) but the xylophone was incorrectly heard as a vibraphone (although the speaker says the word xylophone), which seems to be another of the 2 goofs in this book.
- Edison, Mr. Frog (offscreen narration), and Grandpa Frog are absent in this interactive book.
- Mr. Frog is the narrator; the speaker (Jim Marggraff) tells the instructions.
- Leap finds his friends whilst delivering invitations.
- Six musicians are onstage when Leap watches them. These include Lily, Parker, Casey, Tim, Della and Dan.
- References to classical songs are made in this book:
- Lily plays Bach's Partita in a minor for Flute Solo and Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Toy Flutes (from "The Nutcracker") on her flute.
- Tim plays Greig's In the Hall of the Mountain King (from Peer Gynt) on his tuba. (This song is also heard in Hit it, Maestro!)
- If the player touches the white background on page 1 of the book, the player hears unused music which was scrapped off from the books The Seven Continents, World Geography, and the Explorer Globe toy (and was originally going to be planned as the alternate version of the music for Portugal [South America]).
- At the end of the story, Leap made a big success, Lily, Tad, and Mom go home and the other characters go home as Mom congratulates Leap for his errand completed on time for the recital, which was proved to be a happy ending.
- In the UK version, it was released in 2003, and is also the first book to have Harrison Oldroyd voice Tad, Julia Moss voices Della, Mae Wright voices Casey, Jeff Rawle voices Dan, Theo Smith voices Parker, and George Woolford voices Tim, the others being A Day at Moss Lake and Leap's Big Day (My First LeapPad).
Lisa Ann Marsoli
The Voice Talents Of
Leap: Zac Schuman
Lily: Kelsey Lally
Tad: Blake Marggraff
Mrs. Frog: Christiane Crawford
Della: Isabella Marriott
Tim: Richard "Andy" Fruchterman
Parker: Peter Kappen
Casey: Ali Lynne Samuel
Dan: Richard Streeter
Mr. Frog/Narrator: Michael Mendelsohn
UK Voices of
Susan Sheridan: Leap
Emma Tate: Lily / Mom
Harrison Oldroyd: Tad
David Bamber: Dad
Jeff Rawle: Dan
Julia Moss: Della
Mae Wright: Casey
George Woolford: Tim
Theo Smith: Parker
Additional Voices (UK)
Michael Mendelsohn (story)
Jim Marggraff (games, props)
David Bamber (UK version)
Character Voice Direction
Jim Marggraff (USA)
David Peacock (UK)
Music and Sounds (c) 2000 LeapFrog Enterprises and Rounder Records, inc.
(p) and (c) 2000 LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc.